Welcome to my blog:) I hope that today brings you happiness and good health!

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Putting together a portfolio

To continue on with the job search-as I am looking for work as a peer counselor, my own job counselor has suggested that I begin to think about teaching life skills to others. He looked at my real life experience, my life style and my health situations and found things of value there. Its kind of hard to think that what I do by rote is something others have no idea about.

He told me that I would be surprised to find out how many people couldn't hem a pair of pants, know how to dress appropriately for interviews, basic gardening, cooking, budgeting,  and other self sufficiency skills.

So I decided that even though I am not at all ready to teach anything to anybody right now, I am going to get ready to do so in the future.  I am  starting to gather my thoughts on this now while I have a bit of  unemployed time on my hands.

To that end, I naturally thought of an online portfolio of sorts-a blog. lol. One that isn't as personal or eclectic as this one is. I decided to keep this one going and will direct readers from here to there as appropriate-per article. I hope that makes sense. I am not always great at keeping two blogs at once but this is a bit different. Content for the other blog is going to be put together in a far less spontaneous way than this blog-it will require time and effort so it will likely only be a once a week thing.

The new blog is on wordpress as I find that it looks much more professional and its simple enough to migrate to a paid site with the same company when I am more organized. Its still a personal blog-peer counselors are hired on the merit of their life experience after all-there is no shame in admitting to things like depression and anxiety or other human feelings provided that they are being dealt with in a positive way.

However its still a portfolio and so I will be more selective about content there. Its a work in progress now but  I am providing a link if anybody is curious. I am relearning the wordpress application-its changed a little bit since many years ago when I had a blog there.
The name is Act Two: Life
Wish me luck on it.

3 comments:

  1. You're making another important step towards your goal. Life experience is a valuable thing. Of course, you know I wish you well on this particular journey. I visited your new blog and said hi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I forgot to add - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Step by step is how to meet those goals. It might not work as planned but it keeps me focused which takes out a bit of the fear I am experiencing.

      Delete